Wow, Where Did My 40s GO?
So I have just had the most amazing birthday weekend for my 49th birthday, my FINAL year of being in my forties!
Is it just me or do we REALLY start to think about life at this age?
My view over the last year or so has completely changed. With the big 50 looming next year I have started to plan life a little bit more and what I mean by that is I’ve decided this year that I am going to make things happen rather than life just happen to me!
Plans, goals or visions.
I previously just floated through life without any plans, goals or visions. Each day just simply came and went. Don’t get me wrong I am not complaining, a lot of them were great days spent with the kids and are now amazing memories but knowing what I know now I embrace each day with plans in place which consistently move me closer to my goals and visions in life.
Let’s be honest we all have our own little routines every day and find it difficult to add something extra in there, which is why most of us don’t bother.
So I have decided this year I am going to make a real effort to do some of the things I have always wanted to do but have never got round to doing them.
Here are a few things I decided to do to make the most out of each day:
- Wake up 10 minutes early to perform a morning ritual. This is mainly to put me in a good state of mind for the day. I simply read through my goals, write down 3 things I am grateful for, shower, eat a nutritious breakfast and take my daily supplements.
- Exercise – This doesn’t have to be just in the gym. I usually work out 3 times a week in the gym, on the other 4 days I walk with the dog. The fresh air and exercise together are another great way to put me in the best state of mind.
- Eat Right – Putting the correct fuel in your body is a sure way to reap the rewards of a sharper and clearer mind.
- Drink a minimum of 2 liters of water – Keeping hydrated and flushing out toxins helps us to give our best performance daily.
- Plan – I plan in a minimum of 1 task a day which takes me a step closer to achieving my goals.
Call it a bucket list, vision board or whatever is right for you but unless we make these things happen they never will. We spend so much time making sure the kids and family are Okay that very often we forget about ourselves. If we don’t top up our own self-love and feeling good thermometer then it’s very unlikely we are going to be happy, content, fulfilled and living the best version of ourselves.
I can honestly say I have learned a lot in my forties about life in particular. It was my first experience of losing someone I love. I lost my Grandparents who I was really close with when I was 14 and that was hard enough but losing my Dad in 2014 was and still is the hardest thing I have ever been through, he was the man I spoke to about everything, he was always there for me no matter what and double the heartache of seeing my kids lose their Grandad who they were both so close to broke my heart completely.
The biggest lesson from my forties is:
That life is great, crazy, hard, fun, sad, manic, wonderful, plus a million other things but one thing we can all agree on is you have to make the most of every day as no one is guaranteed a tomorrow!
So, on that note, what are you going to plan to happen in your life in the next year, 5 years or even 10 years? Whatever it is, make it happen!
I have set my goals already for 2019, I don’t like to set them in December because they then feel like New Year Resolutions and I prefer to make lifestyle changes and not set myself up to fail with unrealistic goals. You will hear me speak a lot about how I believe it’s the little things we do every day that make the big changes to our lives.
Today is among the greatest gifts we have ever been given. Let’s use it wisely and refuse to waste a single minute of it!
If you want to know what my goals are for the next 12 months, let me know in the comments section “LEAVE A REPLY”
I will be happy to put them up on my next blog.